- For students to experience the process of design thinking
- To build a minimum viable project (MVP), not a final product.
- To present their projects to an audience and receive feedback.
What is the Design Process?
The Design Process is a technique used in the professional world for creative problem solving. It can be used to design just about anything- from everyday objects like wallets and chairs, to processes like waking up in the morning or giving gifts, to technology like mobile apps. For most classes, you will design an app that will help others solve a problem or challenge.
- Discover: Learn about a topic or problem through research and interviewing others.
- Ideate: Use the insights you have developed, you will brainstorm ideas to test.
- Prototype: Build a model of your app to test and get feedback on.
- Share: Present your app and reflect on your experience.
Activity #1: Analyze DesignLesson 0- Design and Function- Household Items
Activity #2: Explore Apps that Help OthersLesson 0- Explore Apps that Help Others
Activity #3: Brainstorm!
Activity #1: Spot the Fake Smile
Test your ability for empathy by trying to determine whether or not the smiles that you see are real or fake.Lesson 1 Empathy- Spot the Fake Smile
Activity #2: How to Conduct a Research Interview
Activity 3: Interview ClassmatesLesson 1- Interview Notes
- Market Research
- Discovery Summary
- Writing a Problem Statement
Lesson 3: Wild Idea Dash and One Standout Idea
Activity #1: Wild Idea DashLesson 3- Wild Idea Dash Examples
Activity #2: Feedback Session
Activity #3: One Standout Idea
Lesson 4: Paper Prototype and Pitch Presentation
Activity #1: Paper PrototypeLesson 4- Paper Prototype
Activity #2: Pitch Presentation
Activity #3: Feedback
Activity #1: Plan Algorithm
Activity #2: Build MVP
Activity #3: Find BugsLesson 5- Bugs
Lesson 6: MVP Feedback and Iterate
Activity #1: MVP Feedback
Activity #2: Iterate